Rabindra Nath Shaw SMIEEE, Conference Chair, IEEE GUCON 2020
The 3rd IEEE International Conference on Computing, Power & Communication Technologies (GUCON 2020) was co-organized by Galgotias University and IEEE Industrial Applications Society USA from 2nd to 4th October 2020. GUCON 2020 has emerged as a premier conference to bring researchers, scientists, and industry professionals to discuss novel ideas in the field of computing, power, and communication. This year, the conference was joined by researchers, students, and industry professionals from five countries. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the conference was organized online.
In the inaugural session of GUCON 2020, opening remarks were given by Mr. Dhruv Galgotia, CEO for Galgotias University. The welcoming address was delivered by Prof. Preeti Bajaj, Vice-Chancellor for Galgotias University, and the conference highlights were given by Prof. Saad Mekhilef, Technical Chair for GUCON 2020. In the same session, the participants had the opportunity to listen to Prof. Ashutosh Sharma, Secretary at the Ministry of Science & Technology, Government of India, as well as other speakers for the conference such as Manfred “Fred” J. Schindler, Prof. Frede Blaabjerg, Dr. Tamás Ruzsányi, Dr. Dejan Milojicic, Prof. Bhim Singh, and Prof. Paul M Cunningham.
The conference commenced with plenary talk on “IEEE Senior Membership – Benefits and Application Procedures” by Mr. Amarnath Raja, IEEE MGA Committee Chair A&A. This was followed by concurrent paper presentation panels FD1 to FD10 in 2 technical sessions wherein 51 papers were presented with participation of 70 authors. The first day proceedings concluded with a keynote speech on “Taming Heterogeneity: Evolution of the Memristor-based Deep Learning Accelerator and its Software Stack” by Dr. Dejan Milojicic, Distinguished Technologist, Hewlett Packard Labs USA.
The second day started with 2 technical sessions in which 60 papers were presented. The second day also saw 4 keynote addresses which were all well-attended. These were:
- “Frontiers in lighting systems technology: Toward the human-centric intelligent lighting era” by Prof. Georges ZISSIS, President, IEEE Industry Applications Society USA
- “Power electronics – the key technology for grid integration” by Prof. Frede Blaabjerg (FIEEE), Professor, The Faculty of Engineering and Science at Aalborg University, Denmark
- “Innovative Regeneration without Quenching and its Applications” by Manfred “Fred” J. Schindler, Independent (FIEEE), Consultant & Chief Technology Officer Anlotek Ltd. and IEEE Director-Elect for Division IV.
- “Neural Prostheses for Amputees and Patients with Spinal Cord Injuries” by Prof. V John Mathews, (FIEEE) Professor, School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Oregon State University USA.
The third day started with 2 technical sessions in which 50 papers were presented. The proceedings of the third day also saw two keynote speeches which were well-attended. These were:
- “Dynamic Estimation and Control of Power System” by Prof. Bikash Pal, Professor of Power Systems, Imperial College London, UK
- “The Fourth Industrial Revolution and Sustainable Development – The Role of Technology and Innovation” by Prof. Paul M Cunningham, Executive Director, IST-Africa Institute.
GUCON 2020 concluded with a closing session which was addressed by Prof. Preeti Bajaj, Vice-Chancellor for Galgotias University. The conference report was given by Dr. Nishad Mendis, Technical Chair for IEEE GUCON 2020.
The following professionals also gave their feedback and remarks on GUCON during this session:
- Prof. Wei-Jen Lee (FIEEE) Professor and Director, Energy Systems Research Center, University of Texas, Arlington, USA,
- Prof. Paul M Cunningham, Executive Director, IST-Africa Institute and IEEE Division VI Director Elect,
- Prof. Vincenzo Piuri, (FIEEE), Professor, University of Milan, Italy,
- Prof. Robert J.Howlett, KES International Research University of Chichester Business Incubation Centre, Bognor Regis, UK,
- Prof. Bhim Singh (FIEEE), Professor, Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, New Delhi, India,
- Prof. Valentina E. Balas, Professor of Automation and Applied Informatics, Aurel Vlaicu University of Arad, Romania.
Vote of thanks was proposed by the Conference Secretary. The event also saw the announcement of GUCON 2021 approved by IEEE IAS as a 100% financial-sponsored conference by Prof. Wei-Jen, the 2021 IEEE Industry Applications Society President.