Prepared by: Ms. Divya Chhabaria, Chairperson of IEEE ADIT Student Branch
A proverb reads, ‘A journey of a thousand miles begins with a small step’. And since its foundation in 2008, the IEEE Student Branch at A.D. Patel Institute of Technology, CVM University has set a perfect illustration of this thought. Currently comprising of 6 Chapters, 1 Affinity Group, and a Special Interest Group, IEEE ADIT SB has left its mark at numerous levels. It has extended its multi-dimensional efforts for the achievement of its core purpose – ‘to foster technological innovation and excellence for the benefit of humanity’.
Following are the major endeavors of IEEE ADIT SB:
Inspiro is the annual flagship event of IEEE ADIT SB, which has gained immense recognition by the Gujarat Section as well as Region 10. Inspiro & Inspiro 2.0, organized in the years 2018 and 2019, with the tagline: “Inspiring Young Minds”, has been a foundation stone for its participants to build their careers by giving them the platform to connect with over 400 delegates & speakers from various places across India. It is a two-day event, with 12 eminent speakers delivering talks aimed at creating professional awareness amongst students, providing collaborative opportunities through networking activities, and blending the essence of diversity with cultural shows.
All India IEEE Computer Society Students & Young Professionals Congress is an annual flagship conference organized by the IEEE Computer Society. The IEEE ADIT SB was honored with the opportunity to host the 2019 edition of the congress. It was a highly versatile 3-day event involving 13 keynote sessions by the speakers from a variety of domains. The Student Branch hosted over 250 delegates from 11 different Sections for an extravaganza involving networking activities, cultural events, and numerous technical and non-technical workshops.
The IEEE ADIT Student Branch was pleased to host “SAMPARK”, the Gujarat Section Annual General Meeting involving all the Student Branches affiliated to the Gujarat Section in March 2019. This is a common platform wherein new ideas from each Student Branch are discussed, and experiences are shared. The event provides an opportunity to discuss action plans with the Section Executive Committee & fellow student members, resolving issues of the Student Branches.
Virtual events during the global pandemic
To keep the momentum going during the COVID-19 pandemic, the Student Branch has successfully organized various online events on a large scale. Whether it might be inviting young & dynamic technocrats like Tanmay Bakshi to unfold the concepts of Deep Learning to over 1500 participants, or organizing a week-long webinar series ‘IEEE ADIT Web Talks’, the efforts put in to channelize skill development are remarkable. By fostering team spirit and collaboration, the branch had also organized an 8-day long event, Coalesce’20 in collaboration with all of its constituent chapters, affinity, and special interest groups. The assortment of coordinators, participants, judges, and mentors, made the event a grand success. The ADIT SB has also been active in celebrating occasions like IEEE SIGHT Day, IEEE PES Day, IEEE PELS Day & International WIE Day by initiating Social Media Campaigns, e-symposiums and technical competitions in the present period of the pandemic.
Achievements that brought glory to the Student Branch
- Best Student Branch of the Year Award 2018 by the IEEE Gujarat section.
- R10 Student Activities Committee Outstanding Student Branch Award in 2019
- IEEE Regional Exemplary Student Branch Award 2019
- IEEE Outstanding Branch Counselor and Branch Chapter Advisor Award for Prof. Harshul Yagnik
The IEEE ADIT SB has always been fortunate to have an enthusiastic team of volunteers who have endlessly extended their efforts in raising the bar and making the SB feel proud. The Student Branch is immensely pleased to highlight some of the achievements of its volunteers:
- March ’19: Raj Mrug and Maitri Rana won the “Best Volunteer of IEEE ADIT SB of 2018 Award” by the Gujarat section.
- April ’19: Maitri Rana makes her way to the IEEE INDIA COUNCIL 2019 Student Coordination Team.
- December’19: Axat Patel bags the IEEE Outstanding Student Volunteer-Age under 35 (India Council) Award
- December ’19: Tanvi Makadia gets selected as the Vice-Chair–Student for the IEEE Computer Society Student & Young Professional Activities Region 10 – India Committee.
- January ’20: Jalak Gajera and Tanvi Makadia were honored by the IEEE Gujarat Section with “Best Volunteer of IEEE ADIT SB of 2019 Award.”
- April ’20: An article was published in IEEE USA INSIGHTS written by seven members of the Student Branch.
- April ’20: Vaibhav Kothi was appointed as Design Coordinator & Committee Member, Newsletter & ECIM, IEEE India Council – 2020.
- May ’20: Aditi Desai and Dhruvinsinh Rathod were selected in IEEE India Council Student Coordination Team as a Content Team Coordinator and Webinar and Online Training Team Lead respectively.
- Sarthak Shah, Axat Patel, Ashish Arora & Maitri Rana have won the Richard E. Merwin Student Scholarship.