Chun Che Lance Fung, Chair for IEEE R10 Educational Activities Committee
IEEE R10 OU’s are invited to join PROJECT REACHING LOCALS to conduct activities or participate in the production of resources to reach out to the community using local languages. The goal of the project is to fulfil the IEEE 2020-2025 Strategic Plan – “Enhance public understanding of engineering and technology”, and, “Be a trusted source of educational services and resources to support Life-Long Learning”.
Objectives of PROJECT REACHING LOCALS:
- To raise the awareness of IEEE’s brand and logo.
- To enhance public understanding of engineering and technology.
- To provide a trusted source of educational resources and services.
- To inspire a worldwide audience and expand knowledge for the benefit of humanity.
Supports from IEEE R10 will be provided in one the following options:
1. To conduct activities reaching out to non-English speaking communities with local languages. Reports will be required by 30th October 2020. Level of participation will be based on number of events, number of participants, targeted groups (such as students, professionals, affinity groups, life members…etc) and other merits. All participating OU’s will be awarded with a Certificate of Appreciation and the top 16 OU’s will receive funding support of $300 each.
2. To develop translations of IEEE resources such as subtitles for videos or webinars on technical subjects in IEEE Fields of Interest, or, translation of existing materials from other IEEE OUs such as IEEE REACH and EAB. The amount of support will be up to a maximum of $1,000 each, on condition that matching support or sponsorship from other IEEE OU or non- IEEE organisations (such as university or industry) is secured. The amount could be used for professional services and to be claimed as reimbursements in accordance with IEEE policy on expenses. Scope and plan of the proposal must be discussed with Chair of R10 EAC and other OU (if their materials are to be used) prior to confirmation and commencement of the project. It is expected outcomes from this initiative will lead to long lasting impact, and subsequent applications for larger grants from other sources such as IEEE NIC and IEEE Foundation. Reports will be required by 30th October 2020. Up to Five projects will be supported in this initiative.
Examples of activities are (and not limited to):
- Conduct online webinars, seminars in local languages. An example is the IEEE Engineer Spotlight – Japan webinar series conducted in Japanese https://www.ieee-jp.org/japancouncil/affinitygroup/R10_Spotlight/
- Provide subtitles or transcripts of recordings on technical subjects in other languages. An example is the ICRA2019 keynote with Japanese/Chinese subtitles https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMoQV1-pFAk
- Provide translation for existing IEEE Resources such IEEE REACH, TryEngineering or IEEE TV.
- Partner with local industry and/or community groups to conduct activities in local languages that meet objectives of this challenge.
Timelines: Project call opens – 22nd June 2020 Reporting deadline – 30th October 2020
The following information are required for reporting purposes:
- Name and details of OU that conducted the online activities and/or production of resources in local languages.
- Descriptions and list of completed online activities and/or the resources used.
- Metrics adopted, such as the number of participants in the event or usage of the IEEE resources.
- Discussion on the scalability and sustainability of the initiative. (This may lead to further projects to be supported by other IEEE funding sources.)
- Recommendations and Feedbacks from participants.
Enquiry and Submission of Expression of Interest (EOI) to Chun Che Lance Fung, Chair IEEE R10